Saturday, August 24, 2013

First Day of Kindergarten

Wesley started Kindergarten on Wednesday, August 21. Daddy is in charge of morning drop-off, so he was also in charge of the "first day of school" picture. I'm not sure if this was taken before or after the hair combing. I've given instructions that Wesley's hair needs to be combed every morning, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen or not. I thought it would at least happen for the first day though! At least there's a smile...
 Unfortunately, the smile didn't last long. Blake said Wesley cried and was very clingy when they arrived. I pick Wesley up in the afternoons, and his teacher assured me that the tears didn't last long. Wesley was all smiles again when I saw him walking out with his class at the end of the day. He was so cute with his backpack on! After a big hug, he announced that it was "the BEST day EVER!" and the "best Kindergarten I've ever been to!" Wesley even made the front page of the local newspaper on the first day of school. There was a photographer from the paper at his school when we were there for orientation earlier in the week. Such a fun memory!
Wesley tells us everything about his school day when he gets home. He doesn't spare any detail! This was part of his story on Thursday:
"Mommy, I have something to tell you that will make you really happy. I tried to make a friend today! It didn't quite work out because I'm pretty shy, you know. But I'll try again tomorrow!" He's such a sweet little boy. His Friday update was that he talked to another boy and even learned his name, but they aren't "friends" quite yet. Maybe next week...

Wednesday he came home with a project that went along with a book his teacher read about a raccoon's first day of school. Thursday he came home with a book he made and a sentence he wrote. Friday's project involved counting and graphing. Wesley can't stop talking about how much loves "learning time" at school. He almost likes it as much as recess! New playgrounds are hard to beat.

I know Wesley's teacher as well as the principal of his school, and we are so happy he's there. And we're even happier that he's happy! Mornings are much more enjoyable when everyone is excited about where they're headed. Blake and I love our jobs. Ethan doesn't cry at his daycare. And now Wesley loves going to school. Life is good. Busy...but good!

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful report! I am smiling from ear to ear! If there are any extra copies of that news paper, I would love a copy. I have bragging to do over here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I think Wesley's hair looks fine! Blake did a great job. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry--we have a copy set aside for both sets of grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! What a swet post Steph. We love the updates

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!! Have Blake bring our copy when he comes to dove hunt. I am so excited to show off our grand son in the news.

    ReplyDelete