Thursday, March 18, 2010

He Can See!

Wesley had his first appointment with an optometrist today, and he can see! Or, at least he can see as well as any two-year should be able to see. Apparently all kids his age are slightly far-sighted, but they grow out of it by about 4 or 5. Interesting, huh?

We didn't have any reason to think Wesley couldn't see. I wear a pretty strong prescription though and had some eyesight "issues" when I was young, so my optometrist recommended I bring Wesley in just to make sure he was seeing okay.

Instead of asking Wesley to read letters at a distance, like they do for adults, Wesley got to say what pictures he saw. There was a hand, a horse, and even a bird! Wesley especially liked the bird today. :) Then the doctor looked at Wesley's eyes with her special microscope contraption. Wesley actually sat very still and did an amazing job! I had to constantly tell him how brave he was being and I had to promise him a few treats too. Good thing I had pretzels in my bag so I could follow through on that promise! It's risky to promise food to a growing boy if you can't deliver!

So, Wesley is good to go until he's 4 or 5. That's when we should take him back for another appointment. Good job taking after your dad when it comes to eyesight, Wesley! Keep it up!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for Wesley, and good eyes! Yes, we were very fortunate with good eyes. Randy wore glasses briefly when he was in about the 3rd grade, then miraculously didn't need them after that. Go figure. I didn't need glasses until about ten years ago, and only need them for distance. I hope Blake and Brandon can keep up the good eyesight too.

    ReplyDelete